In many divorces, one party is ordered to pay spousal maintenance (also known as alimony or spousal support) to the other. If you are facing a divorce and have questions about spousal maintenance, the attorneys at the Law Firm of Shaw & Associates, P.C., are here to offer advice and advocacy. We have extensive experience handling family law issues for clients throughout the New York City metro area.
Contact us today online or by telephone at 212-792-9501 to arrange a free initial consultation with an experienced New York alimony attorney.
In New York, there are three types of spousal maintenance/alimony:
- Permanent: This type of alimony is paid indefinitely, and remains in effect until a change of circumstances allows the receiving spouse to fully support himself or herself.
- Rehabilitative: Temporary alimony that is designed to offer one spouse financial support while he or she gets back into the work force.
- Restitutional: Temporary support that is intended to make up for one spouse supporting the other while he or she was obtaining education or job training.
In determining spousal maintenance, the courts take a number of factors into consideration, including:
- The length of the marriage
- The conduct of the spouses during the marriage
- The income and earning potential of each spouse
- The age and health of each spouse
- The assets and debts of each spouse
Whether you are seeking alimony or your ex-spouse is seeking it from you, it is important to consult with an experienced spousal maintenance attorney. Our lawyers are very experienced in these matters and can protect your rights and interests.
Contact a Manhattan Spousal Maintenance Attorney
If you are facing a spousal maintenance issue in New York, we are here for you. Contact us today online or by telephone at 212-792-9501 to arrange a free initial consultation with a knowledgeable New York alimony attorney.